[mythtv-users] Hearing Aids and TV Listening Systems

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 12:31:04 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Mon, November 17, 2008 3:40 pm, Chuck Peters wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for other practical wireless TV
>> Listening Systems?
>
> If you want to try homebrewing something, I just read in a recent QST
> magazine about a guy who made a loop that interfaced with the telephone
> pickup coils in his hearing aids for listening to his radio receiver.  He
> used an 8-turn loop on the ceiling above his head, and drove it with an
> ordinary audio amp.  One downside of this is you don't get stereo.  On the
> ceiling might be a bit ugly, but maybe you could put it under his favorite
> chair. ;)

It's quite common with these loop systems to use something like mains cable and
run the loop round the perimeter of the room under the carpet. Obviously you
offset at the join so each circuit of the cable gives you three turns of the
loop. Putting it under the carpet means he can hear it anywhere, and the loop
isn't apparent to anyone else in the room.

--

Mike Perkins