[mythtv-users] Seagate confirms problems with 1.5TB Barracuda drives

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:47:25 UTC 2008

Glen Dragon wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:53 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org
> <mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 09:22:01AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>      >
>      > On Wed, November 12, 2008 9:09 am, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>      > > On 11/12/2008 10:13 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>      > >> I figured some mythtv users may have these drives in their
>     systems.
>      > >>
>      > >> http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15863
>      > >
>      > > I actually have one of the affected models ( 9JU138-300 ) with the
>      > > affected firmware ( SD17 ), but TTBOMK I haven't experienced
>     the issue.
>      > > Or, at least, I've noticed no signs of experiencing that issue.
>      > >
>      > > I am running on a PCI SATA card at 1.5Gbps (150MB/s).  Perhaps
>     that helps?
>      > >
>      > > The funny part is that I have another unaffected Seagate 1.5TB (
>      > > 9JU138-568 with firmware SD35 ) that was causing me unrelated
>     problems.
>      > > It would fail to initialize on cold boot before the SATA card
>     probed it
>      > > (100% repeatable), so the SATA card prevented the system from
>     booting.
>      > >
>      >
>      > Anyone know if this extends to the 1TB drives?  I'm seeing very,
>     very slow
>      > response times if I hit my RAID5 system hard.  As in, the
>     computer will
>      > freeze, sometimes for as long as 15 to 20 seconds, with nothing
>     in the
>
>        The bug seemes to be related to cache flushing and a number of people
>     have reported being able to work around the problem by turning write
>     caching
>     off. It appears to be a problem with all of the 7200.11 series.
>
>     [deletia]
>

> I have 4x 7200.11 750's (raid5) and have not seen this problem.
> 3 drives with FW SD04, 1 with SD15
>
> I also have another 5x 7200.11 1T's (raid5) in a system that I admin.
> No issues.
> Those drives all have SD15 FW.
>
> Although, I also heard of someone else with an 1.5T that arrived DOA,
> and now he's having other issues.  So it sounds like the Firmware
> shipping in the new 1.5's and some 1.0s is having some issues.

I have one SD17 1.5TB, and I added it to a raid5 array, and it built in
in the array just fine, and then kicked it out 3-4 hours later on a very
odd looking error, and checking the disk for errors showed no errors.

Turning off write-cache, and again rebuilding it into the array it has so
far lasted 3-4 days without issues, so there appears to be something to
the write cache issue.   The error I got looked like the drive just did
not finish its write and the driver timed it out.