[mythtv-users] Time to take the next step...

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Mon Nov 17 22:39:11 UTC 2008

At 02:09 PM 11/17/08 -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:

    [snip]

 > People can and sometimes do transcode down HD recordings to something
 > a less-powerful system can play back, but the transcoding process
 > would take forever; much longer than a 1:1 ratio of recording to
 > transcoding time, especially on your box.

Which "your box" are you referring to here?

My assumption has been that *if* I do any transcoding of HDTV signals (be
that to make life easier on the current FE/BE system, or to make the video
compatible with the bedroom TV), those jobs would be run on the (new) BE
box, which we have now agreed is far more powerful than it needs to be for
just capturing and recording those signals.  Given that, how long would you
guess it would take to transcode an hour of broadcast 720p or 1080i content?

Or -- at least in the case of coping with the non-HD TV in the bedroom --
would I be better off just letting the FE system scale the image on-the-fly
during playback?