[mythtv-users] Planned MythTV 0.22 user interface.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 17 17:23:42 UTC 2008

Fred Squires wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Colin McGregor wrote:
>>> Story about the user interface planned for MythTV 0.22 can be seen here:
>>>
>>> http://www.gunaxin.com/new-mythtv-interface-preview/2424
>>>
>>> Looks great, my only question being how CPU hungry will the new interface be?
>> Good question. I hope there will be options for people who prefer not to
>> spend money on eye candy.
>>
>> I'd rather burn my CPU cycles playing back H264 HD program material, not
>> making things look pretty, though I suspect I may be in the minority on
>> that.
>>
>> I recall a project, long ago, where folks developing a word processor
>> were spending all their time on "skins", this before the program was
>> capable of printing, which I considered a fairly fatal flaw for a word
>> processor :-)
>>
>> I'd like to see HDPVR-1212 support before flashy graphics, but that's
>> just me.
>>
>> beww
>
> I think the HD PVR-1212 is coming in .22 as well, unless I'm mistaken.
>  Also, nvidia just announced their video acceleration stuff for H264
> and a bunch of other codecs, so if that makes it into the next release
> it could releave you system requirements.

Certainly getting GPU help for playback is a major factor, but mostly
not within the control of the Myth developers.

My problem is I bought several FX60 class mobos and CPUs, and I don't
want to see them become inadequate for Myth systems. Of course these are
 AGP machines, so if newer graphics cards are needed they become
obsolete anyway.

Guess this is "progress".

beww