[mythtv-users] Monolith Pre-made MythTV Box?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 17 12:34:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:34:57AM -0800, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 6:03 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How much do I want to spend?
> >> You can certainly build one cheaper and at least as powerful for much less.
> >> Obviously you have to be willing to support it yourself if you go this
> >> route.
> >>
> > With the specs that they are listing, you could easily build the same
> > machine at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.
>
> So for considering the time vs. cost question (of whether to just
> purchase a system like this or build one myself) I should probably
> look at this as... can I build a MythTV box myself in $300 to $400
> worth of time.
>
> (Give that you are stating that that machine is overpriced by about
> $300 to $400.)

    The only really tricky part about building a MythTV system is the
fact that it has to be quiet, well cooled and presumably look good
enough to sit in your living room. That no small task with the current
state of dekstop PCs and tends to involve specialty parts and suppliers.

    Beyond that, it's just another PC. You could take any ready made
system that can accomodate PCI slots and USB peripherals and turn it
into either a frontend or backend. Infact, I have a cheap ready made
system serving as my slave backend with the HD-PVR. My frontends are
all also "ready made" hardware. My backend it custom because it was
my first attempt and needs more than what you get with the typical
boxed PC.