[mythtv-users] Time to take the next step...

VCRAddict MythTV_01 at appropriate-tech.net
Mon Nov 17 08:20:25 UTC 2008

At 03:28 PM 11/16/08 -0800, you wrote:

 > VCRAddict wrote:
    [snip]

 > > You mean as a means of inputting commands to the PVR itself (such as
 > > to navigate the GUI, for example)?  This would imply that the HDHR
 > > is "feeding back" those commands it receives from the IR remote to
 > > the PVR over the network.  I've never seen any mention of that sort
 > > of functionality.
 > >
 > That's what it does - you might find the answers to your questions about
 > the HDHR by looking at this webpage:
 >
 > http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun

Thanks.  I did look at that site.  But details like this were not really
explained -- at least, not that I found.

Upon further thought on this matter, it occurred to me that while *I* will
not need that "relay remote control commands back to the PVR"
functionality, it's just the ticket to cleanly solve a friend of mine's
problem with a proposed HDTV/PVR installation:  He wants *all* of the
equipment -- including the PVR itself, all the audio components, etc. -- to
be in what is effectively a different room from the TV and speakers).  The
HDHR is sufficiently small and unobtrusive that I'm pretty sure he'll make
an exception for it, once he sees it.  This will allow him to run just the
HDMI, Ethernet and speaker cables through the wall(s), yet still maintain
full control.  In fact, I think I'll send him a "heads up" as soon as I
finish this message.