[mythtv-users] FYI - New HW video accellAPI from NVIDIA

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sun Nov 16 21:13:54 UTC 2008

Nicolas Will wrote:

> You are talking about PureVideo.
>
> NVIDIA is really talking about PureVideo HD. It looks like the circuitry
> on-chip is quite different, thus needs different code.

Ah, I wasn't aware that there was a PureVideo and a PureVideo HD available.

*looks a bit more*

Hm, I think my point still stands...

> If the marketing names are about the same, it doesn't mean that the
> engineering is.

Agreed.  However, the the difference between the two appears to be more
marketing than engineering.

 From what I can tell at the PureVideo HD page and associated PDF's, the
only difference between the two is the HD version of PureVideo is that
the HD version is HDCP Capable.  Heck, the product comparison PDF on the
PureVideo and PureVideo HD pages are the same file that I looked it
showing that every chip back to the Go 6600 support h.264 acceleration
under PureVideo.

Even if a given video card can't move everything to the GPU, which is
one of the selling points in regards to the 8xxx series cards, being
able to move even parts of the h.264 pipeline to the video card would help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that NVidia is finally bringing this to the
Linux community as it's past due, but it does seem to be more of a
marketing move than a answer to something many end users have been
wanting for some time.

Regardless, this is all speculation as I don't have access to the lower
level GPU design specs, and I really couldn't understand most of it if
it was available (I am not a hardware engineer).  I may be very wrong
and there may be some very large design differences that are keeping
them from implementing this newly announced API across more of their
chipsets.

However, what NVidia is stating with this announcement and PureVideo HD
seems to ignore what they have stated earlier with the 6xxx series chips
and PureVideo in regards to chipset support.