[mythtv-users] Monolith Pre-made MythTV Box?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 16 19:29:38 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>
>> I don't mind building a system myself... I'm experienced Linux user,
>> and am comfortable doing things like that.  (I started with Linux
>> circa 1996.)
>>
>> I was considering just purchasing a pre-made MythTV box just as a way
>> of saving time.
>>
>> (When I was younger I used to enjoy doing everything myself from
>> scratch.  It's just now, work takes up alot of my time.)
>>
>> But given the reactions on many of the people who replied to my
>> e-mail, perhaps I should put a little more thought into building one
>> myself.
>
> You're addressing a mailing list where pretty much everyone has built
> their own system so you're not exactly getting unbiased opinions. I
> definitely understand spending money to save a bunch of time and the
> peace of mind of getting whatever support this company will provide. I
> would just make sure you can actually record from your sources with
> this system. (Plenty of discussions on this list about recording from
> cable, satellite, over the air, etc.) Also note that expanding this
> system will likely be more difficult than one you build yourself.

Since they are essentially selling "support", the quality of that would
be the key factor in deciding to go with them.

Expandability and customization are the hallmarks of a Myth system, and
you would be giving up at least some of that with a pre-built system.

It would be awfully hard to find people willing and able to answer
phones 24/7 to deal with Myth problems, so I would question the business
model of this outfit seriously.

beww