[mythtv-users] Monolith Pre-made MythTV Box?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 16 19:16:03 UTC 2008

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> VCRAddict wrote:
>>> At 03:47 AM 11/16/08 -0800, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> I would hesitate to buy something from an outfit that is either
>> unwilling or unable to get a proper certificate for their site, after
>> all that is not all that expensive (on the order of $100-$200/year).
>
> Yeah, the lack of certificate did concern me.  (It encouraged me, even
> more, to seek the opinions of people on this mailing list, about
> them.)

Anyone doing business over the internet should have a valid certificate.

I'm not sure what it really proves, except that you have a credit card
with an available credit of at least the cost of the certificate.

I recently received an offer of a certificate for $29, that didn't seem
to investigate who I was very carefully, as I do not run any web sites
at all. They probably sent the offer to everyone they could find in the
whois database.

But I agree with other opinions here, the machine seems to be
over-priced. If the extra cost is for "hand holding" that might be fine,
but I'd like to see some evidence of that being the case.

Best bet would be to find satisfied customers, if you can.

I also wonder how they handle the listing subscription. I don't think
they are supposed to sell a machine with that already set up. The end
user is supposed to do that him/herself.

beww