[mythtv-users] New Backend - Hardware suggestions

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 17:04:13 UTC 2008

Just a comment on the memory:

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Christian Hocken <christian at hocken.net>wrote:

> RAM:                    2-4 GB - maybe Kingston?

I have a combined BE/FE, displaying HD content at 720p, dual-core CPU,
configured for up to two simultaneous commflag/transcode jobs.  I have 2 GB
RAM and according to top, the swap space is pretty much untouched.  I tried
reducing to 1 GB, but then the swap usage grew to about 0.5 GB (leading to
annoying menu delays reminiscent of the the DirecTiVo being replaced) so I
went back to 2 GB.  So, aside from the memory leak problems I've seen
reported on this list, I wonder if anyone has seen a need for more than 2 GB
RAM.

Jim