[mythtv-users] Monolith Pre-made MythTV Box?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:56:26 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <charles at reptile.ca
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (This is my first time post here, so please excuse any ignorance.)
>
> I was looking around the web for pre-made MythTV box, and came across
> the Monolith Media Center...
>
> https://monolithmc.com/~monolith/index.php<https://monolithmc.com/%7Emonolith/index.php>
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this company?  Anyone bought one of
> these?

I haven't had any experience with this outfit but I would ask the following
of myself:

How much do I want to spend?
You can certainly build one cheaper and at least as powerful for much less.
Obviously you have to be willing to support it yourself if you go this
route.

Am I willing to go through the learning curve and possible hassle of setting
the system up myself?
The learning curve can be especially steep if you're not at least an
intermediate linux user already.

Do I want the latest software?
Unless they just haven't updated their website they are still using MythTV
0.20 while current is 0.21.

There's probably 10 more questions that others could come up with...

One thing I'm curious about is what audio chipset their using. Since it's a
"commercial" product I would expect to have simultaneous analog and digital
output which I still haven't gotten to work.

Richard