[mythtv-users] Stupid question about tuning from cable boxes

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Nov 16 04:24:58 UTC 2008

On Nov 15, 2008, at 8:17 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Josh White wrote:
>
>> Anyway, that is something I've been pondering for a while, and I
>> figured it would be worth throwing out there.  I really like mythtv,
>> and I'd like to stick with it, but everything I've read about HD
>> seems like a major pain compared to using analog cable and a few
>> PVR-250's & 500's.  Obviously, it would be sweet to stick a card in
>> a machine to replace the digital cable/satellite box, but that
>> doesn't seem like it will be a reality any time soon.  I really hate
>> the idea of renting several cable boxes just to be able to have what
>> I have now, but in higher resolution.
>>
>> Thanks for reading my rant, and for any comments.

One option I didn't mention is keeping your current standard
definition capture cards, then getting hi-def cable boxes (plus
irblasters) and outputting s-video. A hi-def cable box over s-video
will give you a MUCH better picture than your current tuners over
coax. You can even set it to record in a 16:9 aspect ratio and you
will get something close to DVD quality (but still stereo audio). It's
not bad and much cheaper solution I did for a few months before HD-PVR
support made it into trunk.

-Brad