[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 01:40:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:

> tells

> >> Nope, no good.  I am SSH'd in right now, and ran "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm
> >> stop", but when I try to run the installer, I get that message saying
> >> "You appear to be running an X Server...".  I can't even get to a login
> >> screen using Ctrl-Alt-F1.  I do get alot of errors in my Xorg.0.log
> stating:
> >>
> >> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> >> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
> >> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> >> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
> >>

> > See :
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/276518
> >
> > It seems that updating to the latest Intrepid fixed it for some users
> > - and that it is definitely related to ATI hardware. At this point I
> > would suggest using a vanilla (normal) Ubuntu installation, update it,
> > and try and get regular X working from that. Then you can install the
> > MythTV packages seperately as described in :
> >
> > http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Fred.
> >

> >> I had previously used the Restricted Drivers Manager to tell the system
> >> to put on version 173 then changed xorg.conf to use "nvidia" as the
> >> driver rather than "nv".  I thought 177 was hosed so I thought I'd try
> that.
> >>
> >> Damn, this is frustrating!  Its this sort of BS that keeps Microsoft at
> >> the top!!!
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >> Harry

> OK, here's an update:  I got pissed and fed up with 8.10, so I nuked my
> box and put 8.04.1 back on.  It looked OK with the "out of the box"
> drivers, which turns out to be VESA drivers.  However, analog and
> digital stations didn't come in real well.  So I went to "Restricted
> Hardware Drivers" and turned on the nVidia drivers that they had, which
> was version 169.12.
>
> After that reboot, the Xorg process spiked at 100% again and the
> frontend took about 20 minutes to paint and come up.  I was able to get
> out of the frontend and disable that driver via Restricted Hardware and
> up quick, but all still isn't good.  My digital stations come in OK in
> terms of the video being clear and smooth, but the analog stations (my 2
> -> 99 ones) are still choppy and staticy.  They switch between showing a
> frame of video then some green snowy static, and the audio is very bad.
> I like to use the "baseball card in the spokes" analogy.
>
> So, while I'm closer, I'm still not all the way there and to be honest,
> I'm not very happy.  The reason I put an nVidia card back in was to
> avoid this kind of BS, and its been nothing but a headache!  What should
> [...]

I have had terrible problems with nVidia settings.  My computer wouldn't
even boot because of a conflict between the drivers and an Air2PC card.
 Just today after updating my setup, it would only boot in low resolution
mode.  In all cases here is the solution that worked for me.

1) Turn off the nvidia proprietary driver in mythsetup.  It has been so long
since I did this but I think there is a check box somewhere.  It may be out
of there if you have the standard driver selected.  If you can't figure this
step out, go to the next step.  It may do this for you.
2) Run Envyng and install the nvidia drivers.  This is real easy to use and
has never given me any problem.

Now, you will need a xorg.conf file if you don't have one.  I set mine  up
manually but I have an S-Video and a DVI projector and needed to specify
resolutions manually.

Hope this helps,

Allen