[mythtv-users] non xvmc nvidia cards and HD playback

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Nov 15 03:21:52 UTC 2008

Travis Tabbal wrote:
> It works fine, I'm doing it here. But you need a lot of CPU as you
> don't get any help from the GPU. 3Ghz dual core seems about right for
> most anything you want to do. If you're not doing h264, a slower CPU
> can get it done. I'm outputting 720p as that's what my display can do.
> But there is no reason your card can't output 1080p, it's lower
> resolution than many modern monitors. Deinterlacing is done in
> software as well, and works very well. There are a number of types to
> choose from in Myth, what you use depends on how much CPU you can
> spare and what looks good to you. Just try some of them and see what
> you like. HD material seems to do well with even the lower quality
> deinterlacers. 1080i broadcast stuff looks great without going nuts on
> deinterlace.
>

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Al McIntosh <al at allanmcintosh.com
> <mailto:al at allanmcintosh.com>> wrote:
>
>     I was searching the archives for non XVMC playback of HD content
>     and most of the posts were rather old.
>
>     I am curious how people are finding HD playback with nvidia cards
>     that do not support XVMC.  I am concerned how the PC will render
>     1080p with deinterlacing without XVMC.
>
>     I have an nvidia 8500gt.

I'm doing 720P on a fairly lowly AMD X2 4600+ - with about 60% CPU on
one core / myth frontnend...  With 2 mythfrontends running, I'm close to
maxing out both cores.

I'll dig up my profile one of these days.

Certainly doable.  I think the key is having a quality mobo capable of
lots of throughput rather than a crappy mobo and fast CPU.

If I ever get the money together I'll get a Phenom quad core.  Then I
won't have to worry about CPU usage.  :-)

--Yan