[mythtv-users] Dell Studio Hybrid - success

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:13:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Greg Mitchell <greg at nodecam.com> wrote:

> With the weakening Canadian dollar, I figured it would only be a matter
> of time before Dell adjusted their prices (or at least their offerings
> for the Studio Hybrid) so I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and
> ordered one.
>
> I picked up the then on special 2Ghz Core 2 duo (T5750) model, and it
> arrived a day before I had to leave town for a business trip.
>
> When I got back, I tried installing Gentoo on it for a few days, having
> no luck with getting Xorg going at any resolution to my Sharp Aquos
> 1080p set.  I eventually swallowed my pride and tried the gentoo liveCD
> with the same results - no X whatsoever.
>
> In desperation, I thought I'd try Mythbuntu 8.10, just to see if it
> would even be able to display anything.  Within 30 minutes of having put
> the disk in the drive, I had a fully installed fully 1080p, SPDIF
> optical outputting HD playing frontend.
>
> Mythbuntu "just worked" on it, though it didn't detect my existing
> backend.  After having lived with an xbox frontend for 3+ years, having
> a "real" frontend in the livingroom, able to finally playback my
> firewire-captured HD is a dream.
>
> Just thought I'd say thanks to the Mythbuntu folks who may be reading
> this, and report success on the little machine.  I know I could have
> done it cheaper with an appleTV or something, but I don't think I could
> have done it any easier.
>
> Greg

Great news, I was curious about these things as Myth boxes. With more ram
(And some kind of tuner, perhaps external) , could one of these be a
combined FE/BE or would the 5400RPM disk be a limiting factor?

What sucks is, these things in Core 2 Duo form were around $380 on
delloutlet.com a couple weeks ago. I just checked and the cheapest ones are
around $560 at the moment. Maybe there was a big sale last time i checked,
or maybe it's luck of the draw.