[mythtv-users] Need to manage my HDD usage, any way to tell where a recording resides?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Nov 14 18:34:59 UTC 2008

Do you have any reason to believe that MySQL is causing the performance
problems? I haven't noticed it taking significant resources on my combined
FE/MBE. I'd hate to see you dedicate 200GB to what amounts to about 20MB for
no good reason. Even with SBEs doing commflagging and such it doesn't seem
very busy.

If you want to test it, find an old HD lying around and install that. IMO,
it's significantly easier than what you're trying to do. And if it does
work, you know it's worth the work. You could even install the new disk on
USB or something as a temp fix since the only reason I could see the
database causing an issue is with caching or latency from seeking. My FE/MBE
has a single 500GB HD. I have noticed no performance problems with disk
access. I'm using 2 partitions, ext3 for / and XFS for myth recordings and
other media. Performance has been fine with 2 recordings going, 2 commflags
to a remote SBE, and HD playback (MPEG2 or h264). With 3 spindles, I can't
imagine your storage system can't keep up unless it's underpowered somehow.

What kind of performance issues are you having, exactly? CPU use? RAM use?