[mythtv-users] Dell Studio Hybrid - success

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 00:57:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, November 13, 2008 16:31, Greg Mitchell wrote:
> With the weakening Canadian dollar, I figured it would only be a matter
> of time before Dell adjusted their prices (or at least their offerings for
> the Studio Hybrid) so I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and ordered
> one.
>
> I picked up the then on special 2Ghz Core 2 duo (T5750) model, and it
> arrived a day before I had to leave town for a business trip.

Hi Greg,

I'd be interested in hearing a couple things about the Dell Studio Hybrid.
 I've been wavering between it and a Mac mini for a while, but haven't
made a decision.

1)  How's the noise level?  Since the Hybrid has a fan, I was curious how
loud it was, and whether it adjusts during higher CPU loads.  I've
currently got an AppleTV that's very quiet and am looking for similar
sound levels.

2)  Have you tested, or can you test, how well it plays back h.264 files?
(There's a couple samples on the MythTV wiki page for HD-PVR:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD-PVR).  I'm curious if the 2.0GHz
Core 2 is up to the task or not.

3)  Did you get the bamboo skin for it?  :)

I'm glad to hear the Mythbuntu worked on the system, too.  That's been my
chosen frontend distribution for a few months now and it's really a top
notch choice.  It's nice when things just seem to work.

Thanks,
Jason