[mythtv-users] Jerky Playback on only one channel - OTA HD CBS

Calvin Harrigan charrig_mythtv at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 14 00:21:34 UTC 2008

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
>     I've been pouring over the archives looking for someone who has had
> a similar problem.  I've been using mythtv for a little while, about 5
> years 7 months 14 days 22 hrs 9 mins according to mythweb.  I upgraded
> to HD early last year (2007) with the purchase of a HDHR.  Everything
> worked great.  I am able to record HD/SD, play them back fine, no
> worries.  In extreme cases  I have recorded two HD streams, one sd, and
> played back another HD simultaneously without fault..  This fall season,
> I started to record two shows on CBS, a channel that I don't recall ever
> recording from.  The Ghost Whisperer and The Mentalist.  The shows
> record fine, but during playback the video jerks something fierce.
> It'll play fine for a few seconds then slow down/ pause, then pick back
> up, it does this through the entire show.  I thought maybe it was CPU,
> but the CPU is almost idling, it doesn't get about 30% total.  I thought
> it might be something with the deinterlacer, so I checked the detected
> interlace setting, sometimes it showed up as progressive, other times
> interlaced.  I know it's supposed to be progressive (1080i), so I force
> it to interlaced when it detects progressive, but that doesn't fix the
> problem.  I'm looking for any ideas, things to try to fix the only
> problem I have with mythtv.
>
> The computer specs are:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> 2 Gigs DDR2 800 MHz
> 400 gig Seagate - system/non-recorded video/pictures/music/etc
> 750 gig Seagate - recordings
> 1 PVR - 250
> 1 HDHR
> On board video nvidia 6150 on an Asus M2NPV-VM
> On Board Audio and NIC.
> Running Gentoo - Linux mythtv 2.6.24-Gentoo-r8 #6 SMP
> Kernel - 2.6.24
> Nvidia Driver - 173.14.09
> Xorg - 7.2
> xorg server - 1.3.0.0-r6
> Mythtv - 0.21_p18314

Hate to follow up my own post, but I got some more information, while
running mythfrontend in verbose mode "most".  It's like I suspected
something goofy with interlacing.  The internal video player in mythtv
is constantly switching between progressive and deinterlaced mode.

By the time it syncs back up another interlace switch happens:
NVP: progressive frame seen after 6 interlaced  frames

Again:
NVP: interlaced frame seen after 5 progressive frames
2008-11-13 18:44:59.214 Enabled deinterlacing

Like I said, I only have trouble with this one channel CBS.  I can
playback HD from all the other major networks all without incident.
NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS and a couple other locals.  I'm starting to
suspect that the broadcaster might be messing with me.  I played back a
couple other 1080i recordings from NBC and CW and they work fine,
nothing about deinterlace switching etc in the logs.  I have log files
if anyone is interested, didn't include it because I wasn't sure how it
would be received.

Anyone else have a similar problem?
Thanks