[mythtv-users] Still trying to restore mythconverg database

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 20:10:25 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/13/2008 11:07 AM, Damian wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies to my question. I tried a few different things
>> and nothing seemed to work
>
> I /really/ would love to have seen the error messages you claim to have
> gotten from the restore script.  It should have worked.  If it didn't,
> there is a bug in the script that I would love to fix before 0.22 is
> released.
>
> Really, all I needed was a copy/paste of the terminal output when you
> tried to run the script.

Hi Mike,

Sorry for not replying to your message. I wasn't trying to avoid your
request of sending information. I had just gone through a clean install
and didn't want to mess anything up so didn't run your script again.

I think the message I was getting was it wanting the path of the
database, but I was under the impression that it would automatically
find the database if it was in a default place so I got scared and left
it alone. I'm not very brave when it comes to mysql as it's the only
part of MythTV that still manages to bite me in the ass and leave me
scratching my head occasionally. I'm not sure if I tried the script on
this current instal or on a previous install or the os, but if there's a
log anywhere I'll hapily send it to you. Just tell me where to look.
There's probably nothing wrong with your script, it was just a bit too
complicated for me.

>>  until I found the post that worked for me last time. Maybe Mythbuntu
>> works a bit differently to everything else, but this is the only thing
>> that has worked for me and it's worked twice now so I'll post it here
>> for reference:
>>
>> http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2298778&postcount=4

>>  restore your DB:

>>     Code:
>>
>>     mysql> DROP DATABASE mythconverg;
>>     mysql> create database mythconverg;
>>     mysql> exit
>>

> And here the instructions are completely wrong.  The instructions fail
> to tell you to run mc.sql, which configures the database for MythTV.  If
> your MySQL is set up to use utf8 by default, then after following these
> instructions (or, more specifically, failing to follow the proper
> instructions) your database may be in a state that makes upgrade to 0.22
> impossible without losing a large amount (possibly /all/) of your data.

This is a concern to me. Everything seemed to go fine both times that I
have done this, but I obviously would rather not screw everything up
when I next upgrade. Is there any way of me checking what's going on to
make sure it's all ok?

The only issue I've got at the moment is that only my user seems to be
working. Other users on the same system and other frontends seem to be
having trouble connecting and saying that there's no pin number set or
something. I'll have to work out what's going on there.

> I'd still love to see the error messages...

If I can give you anything, I will. What can I do?