[mythtv-users] Still trying to restore mythconverg database

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 16:07:03 UTC 2008

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies to my question. I tried a few different things
and nothing seemed to work until I found the post that worked for me
last time. Maybe Mythbuntu works a bit differently to everything else,
but this is the only thing that has worked for me and it's worked twice
now so I'll post it here for reference:

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2298778&postcount=4

    *Re: Mythtv, Mysql restore from old box*
    this is the method i have used successfully- i.e. zero errors...
    i've moved my database/backend appx
    6 times in the past 3 mos...

    on the backend with the database you want to backup:

    Code:

    # mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql

    the -p argument is the password to the mythconverg database. check
    yours to be sure what yours is.
    it's in the hidden folder .mythtv in your mythtv home directory in
    the file mysql.txt:

    Code:

    # gedit ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt

    line 3, DBPassword=xxx where xxx is your password. if yours is
    different than the one above, substitute
    yours behind the -p argument- /no spaces between/. e.g. -pyourpassword.

    make a copy of the mythtv_backup.sql file (it can be quite large).

    If the only thing you are changing is moving from gentoo to ubuntu
    (congrats!), then On the new
    install, work through the guide up to the /*InitialConfiguration*/
    page of the */mythtv-setup step/*

    Complete the first two config pages of */mythtv-setup/*- /*Host
    Address Backend setup*/ and
    /*Host Specific Backend Setup*/. when you have those two pages
    filled in with your info, you can
    exit from mythtv-setup (ignore any warnings it may give) and then
    restore your DB:

    Code:

    # mysql -u root

    if your mysql has a /root password/, (it won't unless you set it
    installing) instead do:

    Code:

    # mysql -u root -p

    and then enter your /root mysql/ password. when the mysql prompt
    comes up, do:

    Code:

    mysql> DROP DATABASE mythconverg;
    mysql> create database mythconverg;
    mysql> exit

    check to see if the new installation of mythtv has changed the mysql
    password by checking mysql.txt
    as described above, and then restore the database, substituting the
    new mythtv DB password if necessary:

    Code:

    # mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg < mythtv_backup.sql

    once you do that, you can return to /*step 6 of Install MythTV*/:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/My...7386f54cd5e338
    <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Backend_Frontend_Desktop#head-21357a0059b3986ca1052c0a987386f54cd5e338>

    if you want, you can do step 6 to fill the guide with data (not
    necessary if your restored DB was current)... or just continue at
    step 7.

    good luck!

Hope that helps someone else one day too.
Cheers
Damian