[mythtv-users] iptables not blocking traffic from MBE to SBE

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Nov 13 15:31:25 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> Mache Creeger wrote:
>
>> I want to disable a SBE/FE machine from operating so my thirteen year
>> old cannot watch myth in lieu of doing his homework. I seem to be having
>> problems getting iptables to lock out network traffic between it and the
>> MBE. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>>

> Um, "Spare the Rod..."?
>
> The power switch ?
>
> Threats ?
>
> Introduce a 13-year-old of the opposite gender into the equation ?

Heh.  Do what I do - put login limits into /etc/security/time.conf and
then use cron to restart gdm.  Also use cron to execute shutdown -h now
when it's time to go do bed.

My kids cannot log in to their computers before 5PM and after 7:45 AM.
Works like a charm.

Next, a serial cable to the TV so I can shut it down from cron (my TV
has a serial port for limited control.)

I wrote a xwall script that mimics wall and puts a message on x screens
warning of impending doom - like forced logouts and shutdowns.  :-)

--Yan