[mythtv-users] mythTV + USB MPEG Tuner + NSLU2 ?

Andrew Leung andrew at ualberta.net
Thu Nov 13 14:46:41 UTC 2008

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the great responses. I'm new on this list and on digest mode so I
will reply to everyone here:

>Nick Warrington
The box you recommended looks really sweet. The biggest problem I have with
the NSLU2 is the ram... which the viglen box overcomes. I'll definitely
think about it...
http://www.viglen.co.uk/recycle/products.htm

The order page doesn't seem to load... or is that me? Anywhere else where I
can get one? I'm in Germany now.

>David Watkins
Thanks for your input. I've got 1 laying around here now which I ran debian
on. I know what you mean by they can become sluggish. Anything that hits
swap is a HUGE burden... I wish I could just test it now, but I don't have
the plextor convertx with me here (it's in Japan) and I have the slug with
me here... Just doing some due diligence on getting it setup. Sounds like
the mysql backend sucks up a lot of the slug's resources... 32MB is REALLY
tight...

>Brian Wood (beww)
aaah, cool thanks for the tip. I know what you mean... nice toy, but nothing
to do anything TOO serious with... again, too tight on RAM...

>Marc Randolph
Do you need transcoding?  Commercial flagging?  Do you do much
scheduling?  Run Mythfilldatabase?  Host mythweb? Server media over
NFS OR Samba to watch your show while doing any of the above?

Transcoding: no.
Commercial flagging: no.
Scheduling: yes. (esp searching for title matches in listings)
Mythfilldatabase: yes.
mythweb: yes.
Serve media: no.

I have a feeling from some of the other responses, having the slug JUST
doing the read and write of the video stream will be taxing the poor slug...
then adding in some more mysql stuff and mythfilldatabase will be PRETTY
heavy... so this starting to be come clearer.

Thanks for your response!
andrew
--
andrew leung