[mythtv-users] Have remote VNC screen at higher resolution?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:38:01 UTC 2008

I have an SD FE/BE. I keep the default screen resolution at 640x480 (ie the
resolution of the TV). However when I connect via VNC to do various
management tasks the low resolution makes many dialog boxes difficult and
occasionally impossible to work with. I know one option is to increase the
resolution on the BE. However, it is my understanding that the best picture
will result if the resolution is set at the resolution of the TV. Also I
occasionally do small task like updates, etc locally with TV as my monitor.
If the resolution is higher than 640x480 it is very difficult to read
anything on the TV. A while back on another machine I had setup NX server
and had it create a separate session when I logged in that ran at the
resolution that I wanted. I don't need the performance improvements that NX
provides and I don't really want to deal with maintaining it and its
security settings etc just for my local network.

Is there a good way to make my remote VNC screen run at a higher resolution?
I have tried looking around the VNC documentation but there are several
different VNC servers and so many different settings that it is difficult to
track down the best way to accomplish this (I suspect there several ways).
Or is there some other way you guys use for remote connections that gives
you a higher resolution screen rather than the low resolution used for the
TV?