[mythtv-users] Wanted, media player + DVD + PVR console unit.

Royce Souther osgnuru at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:59:50 UTC 2008

I am looking for a console unit that can play video files over the network
(directly not using a streaming server to convert them first)  and can also
play DVD's and record shows. I was looking at the Helios
H3000<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/helios-x3000-upscaling-network-dvddivx-player-hands+on-225787.php>system
but it looks like Helios is out of business. None of their resellers
are caring their products and their contact page is down. If I have to I
could build another MythTV computer but a console system would be easier for
my family to use and have all the output ports.

For about a year now I have had a Hauppauge MVP, it is nothing but a pain.
It will only use a steaming server. The server program that comes with it is
for Windows and does nothing but crash. Their is an open source project in
the works for it but I is painful to watch because it cannot keep the video
and audio in sync.

I have tried the  Mediagate MG-45 and it is good as a media player but the
menu system is very cheap looking and it is only a media player. I know
someone that has the D-Link DSM 320 and he likes the menu system of that
unit but he doesn't know much about how it works and cannot tell me if it
requires a streaming server or not, it is also just a media player.

If I end up having to build a MythTV system does anyone have a list of parts
to make a console unit. I will need a console style case, I have seen them
but don't have any part numbers or other information. I also need a line on
some output cards for HDMI, component and others. Also the last time I tried
to setup IR it was a never ending nightmare of compiling, configuring and
tinkering. Are there any IR systems that just work out of the box?

--
http://www.Radados.org