[mythtv-users] mythTV + USB MPEG Tuner + NSLU2 ?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:41:43 UTC 2008

> I am wondering what experiences people have had with mythTV, external USB
> MPEG tuners (i.e. a plextor convertx PXTV402), and a LinkSys NSLU2? Is it
> possible to just run the backend with a USB tuner on something low powered
> like a NSLU2? (I don't need the mythtv front end working. I am utilizing
> mythtv's web interface to record shows and I am downloading the shows to
> view on a different computer. )

I doubt it.

I run a combined mythtv FE/BE and, about a year ago moved all my music
files off that box onto a NSLU2 NAS drive.  This works fine using
mythmusic on the FE/BE.

 I have also played the occasional mythvideo file off the NAS and this
sort-of works, although if anything else tries to access the NAS at
the same time then it struggles.  Basically the NAS is a fairly
sluggish fileserver and I'd be suprised if it has the horsepower to
run mythbackend and mysql as well as manage the storage.

However if you search gossamer thread mytht users'  for NSLU2, I
remember a couple of people who have got mythbackend to run on a slug
so, in theory, something's possible.

BTW don't think I'm running the Slug down.  I think they're great
little machines and have three of them.