[mythtv-users] Using a second digital sound card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 12 04:14:38 UTC 2008

On 11/11/2008 10:49 PM, Oz Dror wrote:
> The two cards are assigned to /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1
>
> When I change the "Audio output device"  parameter from ALSA:defaults

I think you mean ALSA:default .  Yes, Myth (or, really, ALSA) is /that/
picky, so I am being picky, too.

> /dev/dsp1 I get no sound.

If you change the audio output device from ALSA to OSS, you must also
change the mixer device from ALSA (ALSA:default) to OSS (/dev/mixer).

> I use digital sound pass through mode.
>
> So if ALSA:defaults is the output form the first sound card.

ALSA:default is the Myth syntax for specifying the logical ALSA device
named "default" it has nothing to do with first or second card.

>  what is the
> output form the second sound card.

If you want ALSA:default to refer to the hardware on the second card,
use
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly
, but edit it so all the instances of "card 0" are "card 1".

Or, edit it as described above and change every logical device name
(i.e. that which follows "ctl." and "pcm.") to include a 1 afterwards
(so "pcm.analog" becomes "pcm.analog1", etc.), then copy the original
(unedited) version into the same file and delete one of the 2
"pcm.!default" and "ctl.!default" stanzas and you can use logical device
names to refer to either card.

aplay -d mixed-analog /path/to/sound/file
aplay -d mixed-analog1 /path/to/sound/file

Or, (I'm assuming here because I didn't read the rest of the thread)
simply disable the integrated sound card on your motherboard since
you're not using it.

Mike