[mythtv-users] Possible solution for getting both SPDIF and analog output

Christian Hack christian at hack.id.au
Wed Nov 12 01:02:18 UTC 2008

I've just hit this issue. Digging up the thread. I've almost got what I
wanted.

MPEG comes through both SPDIF and analogue.
AC3 only comes through SPDIF. This is a deal breaker still.
Unfortunately this means any AC3/Dolby Digital shows require the amp to be
on which I don't always want.
The other limitation is that the MPEG through SPDIF gets upsampled in ALSA
to 48kHz which isn't nice when playing 44.1kHz CDs/MP3s etc.

So close but no cigar for me. I need to learn how this /etc/asound.conf
stuff works.

Add the two sections here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_AL
SA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly