[mythtv-users] Comcast rendering my HDHR useless

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 11 01:10:50 UTC 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Nahh, I understand your point but you're unfortunately incorrect on
> this one.....the electric company doesn't care at all how long I take
> to burn 3kWh. Whether I burn it in one day or ten they charge me the
> same amount. That's how they charge. They bill me at the end of the
> month, so *they* put a time frame on it for the sake of billing
> purposes but they don't care a bit how fast I burn the actual power.

They sure do, if you have "Demand" type billing, common with commercial
customers.

The total bill is a complex function of the total power used, what your
peak demand was, and when you used the power.

20 years ago your total rate went down if you had a high peak usage,
this is the reverse of the case today.

But I guess most of us here are interested in residential rates, not
commercial ones.

Try telling your ISP that if they give you 100 times the bandwidth you
will only use the same number of gigabytes that month, so you don't want
to pay any more for the 100X faster link, I suspect you will get an
argument.

beww