[mythtv-users] Comcast rendering my HDHR useless

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 10 16:17:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> I do that right now with the Hauppauge HD-PVR and DirecTV and now I
> use my high-def tuners for over the air reception. Aside from the high
> frontend requirements \and having to use an unstable version of
> mythtv, it's a really nice solution.

I just priced a frontend box on Newegg for about $300. AMD X2 6000+ CPU,
mobo, ram, nice case. I'll run it diskless or grab a small drive from my
junk box. Or maybe a CF adapter. Not bad for an HD capable frontend that can
play even high bitrate H264. I don't think that's so bad. If you don't need
H264, a slower CPU will work fine. ATSC MPEG2 isn't that hard to deal with.

Sure, it's a fair bit more than the SD frontends we used to run. But it's
also a lot more capable. I've been eyeing the HD-PVR. Glad to hear it's
working well with Myth, even if it requires SVN builds for now. If I decide
to use a pay service, I might think about using one.

My soultion isn't perfect. And is subject to a lower WAF, but it might work.
And the OP already has an HDHR, may as well use it for OTA if it's available
to him.