[mythtv-users] Maplin twin tuner DVB-T USB Stick?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Nov 10 09:50:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 09:45 +0000, David Watkins wrote:
> On 10/11/2008, Dave Pearson <lists at netsalve.com> wrote:
> > Has anybody tried using the twin tuner DVB-T USB stick that is
> currently
> > on offer from Maplin?
> > It appears to be a Twinhan device.
> >
> > Details here:-
> >

> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222858&C=Newsletter&U=08P12-3_A54HQ&T=[[ID]]
>

> I notice that they claim it's HD ready.

These days this usually means that the (Windows) software bundled with
the hardware is able to decode h.264, not only MPEG-2.

> I recall reading that the UK is proposing to use DVB-T2 for HD over
> freeview and that existing DVB-T receivers wouldn't be suitable.

True.

But I believe that France has started broadcasting h.264 HD on DVB-T,
for example, they just have to limit the number of channels inside
multiplexes in order to get the proper bandwidth.

DVB-T2 will mainly allow for more bandwidth per multiplex, once it is
finalised.

> So is the device DVB-T2 (the twinhan spec implies not)? or is HD
> Freeview not necessarily going to be incompatible with DVB-T? or are
> Maplin being misleading?

The UK is waiting for DVB-T2 before boadcasting HD on its terrestrial
network.

nico