[mythtv-users] liveTV sucking up CPU cycles?

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Mon Nov 10 01:03:06 UTC 2008

> > LiveTV uses 2 - 2.5 times the CPU cycles of playback.  I have no idea
> > why....
>
> Have you checked that your LiveTV recording profile and whatever your
> other recording profile is using is exactly the same?

I believe I've seen the same issue in the past, but haven't investigated
things well to this point.  (I've usually been OK with it, because it's
helped us avoid watching baseball games when the in-laws are visiting.)

I'm in the process of testing a HDPVR on a separate system and noticed that
I can't reliably watch a problem via live-tv, but I can from the recordings.
Watching an in-progress recording is fine, too, so if I really need to watch
something now, I'll start it via mythweb and watch it from the recordings.

It would be nice to track down the issue, though, as playing LiveTV vs a
recording (in progress or not) should behave the same.  Now that I've got a
somewhat workable test system, I can help with some testing.

Jason