[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu upgrade 8.04 -> 8.10, didn't go so well

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Sat Nov 8 16:16:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've upgraded Mythbuntu from 8.04 -> 8.10, mainly because my box seemed
to no longer be able to play DVDs.

Perhaps this was something to do with patching the kernel for UDF 2.5,
but I'm fairly sure I backed out to the old drivers successfully
(basically restoring the old udk.ko module that I backed up)

Anyway, I figured an upgrade would replace all that with a new kernel,
that can do UDF 2.5 out of the box.

The upgrade itself was fairly painless, and seamless, and (except what's
noted below) everything works ok.

Except I still can't play DVDs, can't even rip them!

The new X-windows keyboard manager prevents the ~/.Xmodmap from working
- breaking the Logitech diNovo Mini setup.

And sound on HD channels (e.g.: BBC HD) is now either: silent, static,
or ok for a few seconds.

It's basically a world of pain at the moment.

So ...

Can anyone suggest how I might go about diagnosing what's wrong with DVD
playback ?

or

How I can tell X to leave my bloody keyboard alone, just take modmap,
and get on with it.

I think the sound thing might be some performance issue or something, I
dunno.  (or maybe this is part of the DVD playback problem)

a bit miserable,
-MythNoob
(aka Kingsley)