[mythtv-users] Controlling a H23-600

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Sat Nov 8 04:20:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:12 PM, George Mari
<george_mythusers at mari1938.org>wrote:

> Josh wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:49 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> read
> >> get
> >> and a
> avail.
> and
> >> use
> problem,
> >> I'm
> August
> >> it
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/344130#344130

> >> Have you tried rebooting the H23?  Directv units only enable the USB
> >> port if they detect a device hooked up *during boot*.
> >>
> >> John
> >> --
> >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> >> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> >>

> > Wouldn't that be some crap... let me go try that. Nope, same timeout
> error:
> > RECV: Timeout Error
> >
> > On the wiki article (
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB ),
> > does anyone know if the USB -> Serial converter they are referring to in
> the
> > "Cable Options" section is for compatibility with the Myth box or with
> the
> > DirecTV receiver?
>
> It's for compatibility with Linux - Myth doesn't care.
>
> > I assumed it was for the Myth box and Linux in general but
> > I have more then one of the converters working on my backend server so I
> > know the converter is compatible with Linux, but I don't know how to
> confirm
> > they are compatible with the H23 receiver. Maybe the Null Modem Cable is
> my
> > problem... I'll venture out today to try and get the exact parts
> mentioned
> > on the wiki.
> >
> > Oh, and my H23 gets fussy when something is plugged into the USB port and
> > doesn't always boot-up the first time, I have to unplug it and plug it
> back
> > in a few times for it to finally boot with the converter in the USB port.
> >

> Have you tried temporarily swapping one of the USB->Serial converters
> from your known working D10s to the H23?  Or try the converter your are
> trying to use on your H23 with one of your D10s?
>
> My guess is your converters/cables are fine and the USB port on your H23
> is probably flaky.

Yea, I tried using one of the known working converters and even tried using
them both on  each end with the null modem cable in between.

I'll keep trying to get it working with different configurations I guess,
but I'm with you... I think the USB on the H23 is the root cause.

Josh