[mythtv-users] Can't tune all channels; suspect video driver

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 21:58:16 UTC 2008

OK, so I've noticed that I can't tune all of my analog channels in
Mythbuntu 8.10.  Some come in and others have that green snowy
playback.  I had this problem a few weeks ago and it ended up being my
video driver.  I was able to update it and it went away

Now since I've upgraded to Mythbuntu 8.10, I'm having some strange video
issues.  I first tried to put the latest ATI driver on, just like I did
for 8.04.1, and I got an error about not being the right version.  I
suspect that 8.10 is too new and ATI hasn't caught up yet.  I then saw
Ubuntu tell me that there are restricted fglrx drivers available, so I
decided to try those.

Now, when I start Watch TV and go to a digital channel, I ge a picture,
but its split in 2 horizontally.  Basically, the picture is showing the
same thing across the top half of the screen and the bottom half of the
screen.  If I try to tune to an analog channel, Myth tells me the following:

"MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you
selected.  If you want to watch an in-progress recording, select one
from the playback menu.  If you want to watch live TV, cancel ne of the
in-progress recordings from the delete menu."

Any ideas?  Should I just nuke my capture cards and re-input them?
Thanks,
Harry