[mythtv-users] nvidia drivers - partial screen rotation?

Wendel, Ryan wendelr at uncw.edu
Thu Nov 6 14:52:46 UTC 2008

> Thanks everyone! I've tinkered with the settings as much as I can and I think the best course of action is just accept
> it and move on. I will be adjusting the overscan within the nvidia-settings UI and then using the MythTV screen setup to achieve the best results.

> It won't be too long before I replace this behometh anyways.

I just wanted to share the way I've mitigated this with everyone...

I set the overscan in my video-card settings to a point where I didn't have any dead screen real-estate. Unfortunately, this caused me to lose portions of my desktop.  Knowing this, and that I wanted a lighter window manager, I installed Openbox.

Running only the default openbox-session, I have my autostart.sh file start only fbpanel. I then edit fbpanel's default config file (the one in my home dir) and customize the space on the ends of it such that all of the buttons/plugins/taskbars are visible and not hanging off the TV screen. I ended up fudging with the margins and increasing the height of the taskbar to "35" as well too.

After firing up MythFrontend I simply use the screen setup wizard to adjust its output such that I don't lose any viewing area. All in all, I'm very happy with the performance and the aesthetics of everything.

-Ryan