[mythtv-users] OT: FCC investigates cable companies' analog-to-digital migrations
Anthony Messina
amessina at messinet.com
Thu Nov 6 06:51:35 UTC 2008
On Wednesday 05 November 2008 04:54:42 pm Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I don't own any digital-capable TVs here, so cable cards and the like
> aren't useful to me. Just the one cable box in the living room. This
> has obsoleted my PVR-350 setup and forced me into working on my
> pcHDTV-5000 to get it working with just the cable input (previously it
> was antenna only).
I just did something similar this week with Comcast in Chicago (basic
service). About a year ago, they sent out a bunch of *crappy* DCT700 boxes
with only Coax and RCA outputs. They are delivering the "must carry"
channels in their native resolutions from all the local broadcast channels so
you can get, for example WGN and WGN-DT (and additional digital multiplexes)
over the cable unencrypted.
I now have a splitter whereby the channels I can only receive by STB are
passed through the STB to my PVR-350 and any "free" channels are passed
directly to the HD-5500 using QAM-256. Works like a charm.
It was a lot of manual work scanning the channels in Myth as Comcast doesn't
send out any channel id info so I had to watch each scanned channel and
figure out what it was and edit the DB manually, associating the proper
XMLTVID. I then use the following SchedulesDirect caching config
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.4 to get the lineups set
up properly in Myth.
--
Anthony - http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
Url : http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20081106/39d29f57/attachment.pgp
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list