[mythtv-users] Audio issues with Asus M3N78-VM and FC9

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 02:45:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Michael Alan Dorman <
> mdorman at ironicdesign.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:22:13 -0400
>> "Larry K" <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Recently upgraded my Myth BE/FE combo machine using this new Asus
>> > board and ATRPMs, and now I am having problems getting audio to work.
>>
>> Make sure you're not routing to optical or even HDMI by default.
>>
>> Mike.
>>

> Well, I just bit the bullet and picked up a $25 Turtle Beach USB sound
> card.  That works great -- even S/PDIF worked right out of the box.
> Compared to the pain and angst of troubleshooting that onboard audio, this
> was worth the money.
>
> I chose this route over fooling around with compiling alsa drivers that are
> more current.  Since I use precompiled binaries from atrpms, I didn't want
> to fool around with source code...
>
> Larry

Now, there is a video issue on this M3N78-VM motherboard...

I'm struggling with the onboard 8200 video and its ability to detect my
connected display device.  I've installed the 177.80 driver from atrpms.
Anyway, VGA works just fine.  Both DVI and HDMI work, but only if the cable
is directly connected to the TV.  If I connect the cable to a receiver
instead of the TV, the onboard display adapter does not detect anything.
This scenario worked fine before I upgraded to this board.  But then I was
using an AGP FX 5200 (or maybe it was FX-5500).

I did notice the myth menus paint VERY slowly with this new hardware.  I
assume this is a manifestation of the poor performance some have mentioned
previously.

Could there be some magical option inside xorg.conf that would fix the
display detect issue??  if not, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a
PCI-E 7200GS card or something similar.

Larry