[mythtv-users] OT: FCC investigates cable companies' analog-to-digital migrations

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Thu Nov 6 01:09:40 UTC 2008

> OK, good point. I have no way of knowing what channels they will make
> available on the analog side. For now I can only assume that it will
> be equivalent to whatever they make available on the digital side for
> channel numbers below 99 or some upper limit. Today our analog cable
> doesn't go above about 84 but there are channels that have no
> programming. I suppose they are free to remove channels over time and
> leave us with less to watch on those TVs/ Eventually I'll probably
> have to go to digital converters.

I currently just use the analog channels below 99. About two months ago, I
got a message in the mail telling me that Comcast would be moving 3 or 4
particular channels to the 100's (i.e. digital). Fortunately they weren't
channels I watch or care about. But I doubt it will be the last time they do
it. It will be really frustrating when they move some channels that I care
about. Hopefully a little scrutiny from the FCC will cause them to be more
cautious about these practices.