[mythtv-users] Looking for MicroATX AM2 CPU supporting motherboard suggestions.

Jeff Holicky myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com
Wed Nov 5 20:03:00 UTC 2008

Interesting.  I haven't fully explored a method of booting over a
network.

Your idea sounds pretty good.  Your BE is the server that would serve up
a full or partial "network version" of Linux.  I figure that if the BE
goes down (whatever reason), if I stored recordings on a standalone
network HDD, then at least I could still watch those.

The CF / SD memory has limited writes.  Not such a problem when doing
things like music/videos since the amount of writes are small, but I am
wondering about logs.  Are you suggesting that there is little to no
writing to the CF card each time it reboots?  Once it fully boots are
all logs stored on the BE?

On the downside - if the boot was fully on the BE, if the network goes
down you are cooked.  I suppose are you are not better off in that case,
but it would eliminate some networking problems (obtaining info) with
your scenario.

The best of all worlds - being able to fully run a diskless (not via CD;
not starting with NIC) via a larger 2-4GB CF card - and then at some
point during the process flip the logs over to the BE -- if it is up;
otherwise write them to the CF card but alert the user. Again that would
allow the machine to come back up and be available for something instead
of DOA.

Are there any web resources on how one would break up the boot process
like this?

(logs such as messages etc - anything)

jahsr