[mythtv-users] Looking for MicroATX AM2 CPU supporting motherboard suggestions.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 5 16:43:38 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor wrote:
> I am looking for a replacement for an ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS motherboard,
> which has proven to be Linux hostile (four trips back to ASUS and it
> still will not boot KnoppMyth...).
>
> My goal with the board is to have a little diskless client box in the bedroom.
>
> I am very annoyed at the thought of buying another motherboard. What I
> am not going to do buy another CPU, case, etc.. So, I am now in the
> market for a replacement motherboard. I have called ASUS and they
> suggested the M3N78 EMH HDMI motherboard which I gather from a tour of
> the local area clone dealers is no longer available.
>
>  So, here is what I need:
>
>  - Support for Linux network booting.
>  - No Linux hostile BIOS bugs
>  - MicroATX form factor
>  - Support for an AMD Socket AM2 Athlon 3200+ CPU
>  - Support for DDR2 PC2 - 5300 memory
>  - Onboard nVidia graphics, GeForce 5200 or better
>  - 1 (or more) PCIExpress x16 expansion slot.
>  - Something available locally, shipping charges would at this point
> be an insult on top of an injury...

Hard to say what might be "local" to you, as you havenot indicated where
you are on this planet, gmail could be anywhere.

> Suggestions? Normally I would be just looking at ASUS boards, but
> after this experience I think that is a brand I would like to avoid...

Funny, I always had good results with Asus boards, but I have had 2 of
them die due to bad capacitors lately.

Generally the "latest and greatest" boards are most likely to have Linux
issues, the slightly older ones usually have better support.

I'm using socket 939 CPUs and boards, since I have several CPUs hanging
around. The motherboards can be had cheap, if you can find the
processors, and of course they use the older-style RAM.

beww