[mythtv-users] Fluidity of motion: three modes of operation

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Nov 5 12:23:34 UTC 2008

I'm using MythTv to play SD PAL content from a DVT-T source
on a SD CRT TV. I've been messing about with config, gradually
improving playback quality. I thought I was there, perfection
in terms of sharpness, colour and fluidity of motion, but it
actually varies. All along I've had an intermittent problem
with the interlaces getting out of sync, which causes very
noticable combed ghosting, but I've recently noticed that
besides that, and perfect playback, there's a third mode
of operation, where there's a sort of hardness to motion
and fast pans blur and stutter a little (it's a fixed rate
stutter, like the frame rate has been halved).  The half
rate thing is a guess. If that is what it's doing, I'd
expect it to looke worse: if you think what the fields
are doing with a half frame rate, it would be 121245656.
That should look awful with the 21 and 65 transitions
being backward in time, although perhaps that explains
the slight bluring.

Pressing the 5secs back button a few times usually gets it
out of the two bad modes, but it doesn't always last.

Now I've recognised the problem, I'm thinking if MythTV is
capable of being pushed into the perfect playback mode using
the jump back button, then it should be possible to make it
self correct. I'm about to delve into the source, but I'm
wondering if others have seen this behaviour, and whether
the developers have any hints.

In cast it's relevant, the FE is based on an EN12000EG
board, using TV out via component.

Cheers,
	Paul.