[mythtv-users] Comparison of Hauppauge models (New v. Old)

Jeff Holicky myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com
Wed Nov 5 07:13:22 UTC 2008

Looking for someone to confirm - to ensure I am on the right wave
length.  I am today looking for SD tuners - either using the NTSC tuner
(cable in) or S-VIDEO in (cable box).  Live in Toronto (Ted Rogers
country).

I have posted before and have been pointed to get WinTV-PVR-250 or -150
models (MCE or otherwise).  Everything I have read seems to suggest that
the -250 was one of the best ones in the series.  The problem of course
is that these are legacy boards.  The replacement for the -150 is
(according to Hauppauge)- WinTV-HVR-1600.  This is a PCI board which for
me right now would be fine.

According to the Wiki (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 ) it suggests
that this board is ready to go (misc issues as they stand aside)

I am intersted in knowing:
a) The Wiki is showing the 1600 not the 1600 MCE board.  Would I be
correct that right now only the vanilla 1600 is supported by Myth and
not the MCE version?  (MCE adds an FM tuner (I have zero use for that)
and seems to offer RCA input for the sound over a standard din jack).
Or would either board work with the drivers?

b) Does anyone have a clear feeling that the 1600 is a better card
overall than either the 150/250 - and that getting this board is better
than wasting my time trying to get legacy -150/-250s?  (Cost is a minor
issue; seeing a good picture without any interference from a crappy
chipset is more important to me - HD aside).  If drivers were still a
problem - that waiting a bit for this card eventually would be a better
move?

Or ... point blank - 150/250 are better get them while you can??

c) If I were to get the retail with the IR BLASTER - would that be
supported?  Or would I need to revert to some 3rd party system and/or
the LIRC?

d) The 1800 seems to be lacking full support - is that merely a PCIe
board version of the 1600?

Finally a general question - for things like the capture cards and video
(TV-OUT) - once I find that they are supported with Linux drivers (
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/ ) , should I generally be "good to go"
with these as far as Myth goes?

Thanks and cheers!
jeff