[mythtv-users] LIRC in Mythbuntu 8.04.1 (now 8.10!!!!)

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 22:16:38 UTC 2008

steve.goodey at bt.com wrote:
> No, the X means either 0 or 1 as required. No, I don't understand that
> bit either. You have got zero 0 not O?
>
> Also is the program setserial installed?
>
> >From http://www.lirc.org/html/install.html
>
>  If you want to use a home-brew receiver, an Anir Multimedia Magic, a
> Packard Bell receiver, the IRdeo or if you want to use the SIR IrDA
> driver, I suggest that you compile the Linux kernel serial port driver
> as a module (however, you can choose not to do so if you use setserial
> properly, see below). The according kernel option that should be set to
> M is Standard/generic (dumb) serial support  (resp. Standard/generic
> (8250/16550 and compatible UARTs) serial support for 2.4 kernels) in the
> Character devices section of the kernel configuration dialogue. Usually
> the serial port driver grabs all ports it auto-detects as soon as it is
> loaded and the LIRC modules won't be able to use any of them.
>
> There are two solutions for this problem. Either you load the LIRC
> module before the kernel serial port driver is loaded (that's why you
> have to compile it as a module) or you call setserial /dev/ttySx uart
> none to release the according port. setserial usually is already called
> during boot-up in some init script whose location depends on the
> distribution you use. Be aware that setserial might also be the cause of
> trouble. The reason for this is a kernel bug (known to be true for
> 2.2.20, patches are on the way). If you tell setserial to configure a
> port that is already claimed by a LIRC module, the kernel serial driver
> will steal the port from the LIRC module and LIRC will stop working. So
> check your setserial configuration to only configure available ports.
> Debian users should adjust their /etc/serial.conf.
>
> You must be getting a bit fed up with this now? But it seems you're
> almost there.
>
> Steve.

OK, here's what I get now:

/var/log/messages:
Nov  4 17:03:06 hdevine-desktop kernel: [   17.357543] lirc_dev: IR
Remote Contr
ol driver registered, major 61
Nov  4 17:03:06 hdevine-desktop kernel: [   17.860037] lirc_serial:
auto-detecte
d active low receiver
Nov  4 17:03:06 hdevine-desktop kernel: [   17.860040] lirc_dev:
lirc_register_p
lugin: sample_rate: 0

dmesg:
[   17.357543] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   17.860037] lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
[   17.860040] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0

Based on those messages, one would think it's working.  However, I still
get nothing.  Is there somewhere else I should be looking?  In looking
at my frontend log, I get the following:

2008-11-04 17:03:26.756 JoystickMenuClient Error: Joystick disabled -
Failed to
read /home/hdevine/.mythtv/joystickmenurc
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: No such file or directory
2008-11-04 17:03:26.756 lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages

I have verified that /home/hdevine/.lirc/mythtv exists and has the
proper ownership and permissions.

Any ideas?
Harry