[mythtv-users] uPNP Problems

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Tue Nov 4 15:06:56 UTC 2008

Anthony Giggins wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 20:59 +1100, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>>> I’ve also tried from XBMC Beta2 running on Windows, but still I get
>>> the same errors.
>> Probably no the help you're looking for, but XBMC has the myth protocol
>> builtin IIRC you create a network resource of:
>> 	myth://<IP>
>> There's some docs somewhere online.
>>
>> HTH
>> Steve
>
> I was just using XBMC to test, I actually wanted to get the Xbox360 uPNP
> working but when this didn't work I picked another "Working" uPNP client
> from the Wiki.
>
> If anyone has any upnp software client suggestions that they know work and
> preferably on windows I'll give them a go
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

Well, I'm not a Windoze person (can you already tell), but a recently
purchased Vista (hummmm) laptop that came with pre-loaded HP media
software was able to play back OTA NTSC recorded programming from the
Mythtv UPNP server.  However, I think it still suffered from the same
2nd level menu problem that I posted about earlier.

I don't know if this media player is a re-branded windows media player
or something that HP put together.  Perhaps someone here can tell us.
Further, I don't know if it is freely available.

Note, this "HP media player" was NOT able to play back anything that was
recorded OTA on an ATSC tuner card.  Not even standard definition ATSC
type programming. I assume there are missing CODECs.  Again, maybe
someone here can explain more.

----

I forget, Anthony, were you looking for videos or music?

If videos, why not try the actual mythtv front end instead.  If that is
a lot of software, there are efforts that concentrate on only the
playing of mythtv recordings using the native mythtv protocols.  The big
plus here is commercial skipping.

If music, why not try squeezecenter and softsqueeze.  A long time open
source project (except for the firmware that runs on the client
hardware) that was recently bought by logitech.  There's even a
squeezecneter mythtv client plugin effort.  The big plus here is
platform flexibility for both the server and client as well as
commercial backing and dedicated commercially available client hardware
(if you want to go that way).