[mythtv-users] uPNP Problems

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon Nov 3 16:25:43 UTC 2008

Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 09:18 -0600, stuart wrote:
>> Stephen Boddy wrote:
>>> Probably no the help you're looking for, but XBMC has the myth protocol
>>> builtin IIRC you create a network resource of:
>>> 	myth://<IP>
>>> There's some docs somewhere online.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Steve
>> Unless this has changed...
>>
>> My XBMC / Xbox experience was less then stellar.  Maybe the XBMC port to
>> Windows is better.  Are the following features (issues) the same in Windows?
>>
>> - It's a plug in, so it is not part of the main XBMC menu.  The myth
>> application is in a sub menu which you have to find.
>
> I believe it is integral now with the latest beta. It is added as a
> normal "video source".
>
>> - The XBMC client still needs the actual recordings exported by a samba
>> server.  This, despite the availability of the files by the myth server.
>
> I don't think this is the case now. I did have problems (the image was
> massively zoomed in) but I did not use a samba share to start the video
> streaming when I was playing with it.
>
> Of course the big issue I have found that neither XBMC, or the UPnP
> stuff I've seen shots of, manage to solve: All programs in one honking
> big list. I tend to watch series back to back, and scanning down one
> single list of a thousand programs, all mixed up, is not really
> conducive to that.
>
> Steve

Really?  I thought the mythtv upnp server had sub directories that
filtered that sort of thing (filters based on date, channel, title,
ect...).  But, as I said, I could not get anything to play in these
directories.  I was only able to play the shows in the "honking big
list" (i.e. at the first level w/o any filtering).