[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: rsync backup from mythbox -> desktop/FE

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Nov 3 01:07:45 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> I got a bit confused there with your explanation of setting the
> option(s) to allow root from my server to write to my desktop (backup
> spot), could you clarify? (Sorry lol)

NFS by default does not allow the root user on the client to have root
permissions on the server.  This is because there are lots of uses for
NFS where you may not fully trust the person who administers the client.
 As a result, by default NFS maps the root user to the user "nobody".

You can turn this off by putting "no_root_squash" in the line in
/etc/exports that defines your NFS share.  This will give root users on
the client actual root file permissions on the server.  For example,
here's a line from /etc/exports on my MythTV box:

/var/video
192.168.10.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check)

(That should be all one line, but the email client wrapped it.)

> I'm very open to the idea of an rsync server, what would that consist
> of?

Start with 'man rsyncd.conf'; that should get you started.  The details
of how to get rsync to launch in daemon mode automatically depend a bit
on your Linux distribution; if you mention which one you're using I may
already know how to do it, since I've set up a few.