[mythtv-users] Recommendations requested for new HUGE server storage / myth

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sun Nov 2 23:55:20 UTC 2008

Can anyone provide some wisdom on this?
I'm moving into a new house shortly.  I've been running Myth for a few
years on a combined  frontend/backend AMD 3200.
Been recording SD only off of a couple of Dish network boxes.  the new
house has a server closet in the basement.
I'm taking advantage of the move to transition to a new server backend
in the closet, and go HD.
The server will have not just myth on it, but also email server, web
server, asterisk, file server, etc.  A do everything box.

I bought a supermicro motherboard with a bunch of PCI slots, and a PCI-X
slot.
Intel Q6700 quad core mainly to have horsepower for transcoding when I
wanted it.
This box will not display myth, only do server duty.
I have 4 Western Digital 1TB SATA disks coming.
My thought was to have those be data storage, and get a separate smaller
drive for
OS and applications.  The motherboard has 4 ports for SATA, and a single
IDE port.
So I got to thinking I might just get a RAID card and move the data to
that.  I can get
an HP/Adaptec 2610 6-port card for less than a $100 on Ebay.  It's not
state of the art,
but I don't necessarily need super speed for a myth array.   Heck, I
don't even need Raid
for Myth, but I DO want some form of raid/backup for my data, which is
stuff I can't easily
replace.  So I thought I'd do some sort of smaller Raid 1 or 5 for data,
and the rest JBOD
for myth storage, keeping the database on the OS drive.
I think that there's a 2TB limit or something so I need to split it up?
Anyways, I'm sure some of you out there have huge arrays setup for this
sort of thing, or even
may be network admins, (I'm not, just a tinkerer) who can give some
advise on this.

Main goals:
1.  Protect data (500-700 GB estimate)
2.  Reliable Myth storage
3.  Future expansion (I don't want to start out maxed on the motherboard)
4.  Not crazy hard to admin.

I know that google is my friend.  I've been doing it for days.  But a
lot of it is not myth-centric.
School me please!

Thanks
Mark