[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: How to connect HDTV+5.1 speakers to comp?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 22:49:47 UTC 2008

On 02/11/2008 4:41 PM, Bobby Gill wrote:
>     Depends on what inputs your surround app provides. Given you're
>     using Logitech
>     speakers I presume you have analog out from your myth system. If
>     your new
>     surround amp supports analog inputs it will have 6 RCA inputs, the
>     same as
>     your logitech speakers. Just plug them in the same way.
>

> I found this pic of someone's z-5300e's, exactly what I have:
> http://home.comcast.net/~violated/cables.gif
>
> So if the speaker system I buy has the green+black+orange cables which
> go from the system -> my computer (circled in red in pic above), then
> it's a straight connection (correct me if that's wrong).
>
> Now if it doesn't have that, what would I need?

Some speaker systems would require a TOSLINK cable (That's the optical
fibre audio connection), others need a S/P-DIF (Single RCA connector).
Both are digital connections. a TOSLINK connector (On a PC) is a small
square block, usually with a white/cream sprung cap in the middle
looking a little like a pair of doors. If the doors are missing, you'll
have a square black connector, with a hole with a glowing red light in
it (With the interface is active).

The following shows the two systems (TOSLINK optical is on the right).

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/encyclopedia_images/_TOSLINK.JPG

Hope this helps.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston