[mythtv-users] Is network required for single frontend/backend machine?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 2 19:52:04 UTC 2008

test wrote:
> Robert Johnston wrote:
>> On 02/11/2008 1:12 PM, test wrote:
>>
>>> My question is why can I not connect my frontnend to my backend.
>>> I have a wireless router which connects my 2 computers to the internet.
>>> My linux box, which has my FE and BE uses an iP address of 192.168.2.3.
>>> It this what I should use as the "server address"?
>>>
>> It is quite possible that MySQL has been set to bind to 127.0.0.1 only,
>> so trying to access it from the actual IP address (192.168.*) is
>> refused. Try stating your backend is on 127.0.0.1. That may just fix it
>> (Though it may cause issues when you later want to add other back of
>> frontends).
>>

> 127.0.0.1  did not fix it. I still get a "failed" result from a connection test.

Some wireless access points/routers have a feature that prevents the
wireless machines from communicating with each other. I think linksys
calls it "Access point isolation" or something like that. You want to
make sure any such feature is disabled, as it would prevent precisely
what you need to do.

The feature is for an internet cafe or the like, where you want each
machine to connect to the internet, but not to other machines on the
same wireless network.

Make sure you can ping each machine from the other.

beww