[mythtv-users] Sound issue that I can't seem to figure out

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 14:13:07 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>>> I tried that, but it didn't work.  I still have no sound.  I also tried
>>>  setting the Audio Mixer to ALSA:Default as Nick suggested and that
>>>  didn't work either.  Here's my latest snippet from my frontend log:
>>>
>>>  2008-10-29 21:07:59.459 Opening audio device 'default'. ch 2(2) sr 48000
>>>  2008-10-29 21:07:59.460 Opening ALSA audio device 'default'.
>>>  2008-10-29 21:07:59.481 mixer unable to find control Master 1
>>>

>> OK - it now looks like you have a working mixer, but MythTV is trying
>> to control the wrong mixer control. The audio dialogue usually
>> provides a choice between "Master" and "PCM", so please try both of
>> these in turn. Your current mixer config seems to be set to "Master 1"
>> which could be a typo (or it could also exist, but I guessing this is
>> why you still get no sound). MythTV prepopulates the list with the
>> options "Master" and "PCM" so try these before configuring the setting
>> manually.
>>
>> In case it helps, please post the output of
>>
>> # aplay -l
>>
>> and
>>
>> # amixer scontrols
>>
>> The aplay command will list your audio card(s) details, whilst the
>> amixer command will list the current mixer controls (important for the
>> paragraph above). If you have multiple sound cards, use
>>
>> $ amixer -c 0 scontrols
>>
>> for the first card,
>>
>> $ amixer -c 1 scontrols
>>
>> for the second etc.
>>
>> Because this issue (and your log messages) relates to audio _output_
>> from MythTV, I don't think it has anything to do with your recording
>> profiles.
>>

> In the Audio screen, the Mixer Controls setting was set to PCM by
> default and obviously didn't work.  I set it to Master and still had no
> luck.  I ran the aplay and amixer commands as you suggested and here's
> the output:
>
> aplay -l output:

> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> amixer -c 0 scontrols output:
>
> Simple mixer control 'Master',0
> Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
> Simple mixer control 'Front',0
> Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
> Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
> Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
> Simple mixer control 'Center',0
> Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
> Simple mixer control 'Line',0
> Simple mixer control 'CD',0
> Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
> Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
> [...]
Just a follow-up:  I installed TVTime just for the hell of it, and I
don't have any sound coming out of it either.  I'm going to try
recording something later and then play it back.  If the "no sound"
issue is only on the "Watch TV" portion of Myth, I'm OK with that since
I never use that.  As long as I have sound when I play recordings back,
then I'm fine.

In the meantime, any other ideas on the aplay and amixer output that was
requested a few days ago?

Thanks,
Harry